Sunday, March 18, 2012

Planning for Summer


I got a Ball Blue Book from Paperback Swap in the mail yesterday, so hopefully, I'll stop being so nervous about canning & actually get into it this summer. I'd love to get a container garden put in, as well, along with my Topsy Turvy planters, because the soil in my backyard is terrible & nothing will grow, plus it gets so hot out there, too. It's on the west side of the house & the afternoon sunshine is just too much for it.

With all of this in mind, I've been thinking of getting a composter, that way we can make our own mulch for the gardens for next year. I'm very excited about becoming more self-sufficient in our little house and making sure we have a little stockpile of foods & necessities built up for when the hard times come (and they will come, I can feel it). I'm not talking about getting all hoarder crazy about it, I just want to feel comfortable that we can eat for a little while, you know?

I've gotten very good about making our laundry detergent and shower gel, plus I know how to make dishwasher detergent, too, I just haven't been lately, so I could easily make a stockpile of those things, too. I realize that if things get really bad, we won't have power, but I've done laundry by hand many times & can also make regular dishwashing soap and have that ready to go, just in case. Having those skills makes me feel a little more secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment