Saturday, October 15, 2011

No Talent


How do you tell someone who has a huge dream to do something they have no talent at, that they should rethink their dreams? I don't want to dash anyone's dreams, but sometimes, no matter how hard you work at something, you just don't have the necessary talent to excel at something.

Take myself, for instance. I spent over 2 years trying to learn to play guitar. I never managed anything beyond plucking out a song on the strings & learning one chord in all of that time. I switched to the flute & by the time I started my Senior year of high school, I was sitting in the first chair. With just a tiny change, I found something I was good at & found endless hours of joy with.

No one told me, though. I realized that I was never going to learn to play the guitar, no matter how long I tried & that honestly, I didn't really enjoy doing it. This person? Too stubborn to probably even listen to anyone if they told her, so I guess I'll just wait it out & see if she realizes it on her own somewhere down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment