Thursday, October 25, 2012

Booking Through Thursday

Join us!

 Are there any good books that you read IN SPITE OF the cover and ended up wondering what on earth the artist and publisher were thinking to pair up a cover that so badly represented a perfectly good book? And … if you didn’t like the cover, what made you pick up the book? The author? Assigned reading from school? A recommendation from a friend?

Definitely. I read the entire A Song of Ice & Fire series by George R. R. Martin. I don't think they could have made the covers more boring if they had tried, honestly. I picked up "A Game of Thrones" because the series was starting a couple of months from then & I honestly hadn't known it was based on a book, or a series of books, but I knew that it looked good & wanted to read the first book to see if it would be worth watching. I enjoyed it & eventually made my way through the rest of the series & waited anxiously for "A Dance with Dragons," which was the book that made me realize that I needed an ereader, because my hands can't hold onto a large hardcover book anymore. That cover was also better than the others in the series, maybe because so many years had passed between it & the previous one.

No comments:

Post a Comment