Friday, January 20, 2012

Hearts & Flowers?


I have to admit, I'm a fan of Valentine's Day. I like the sentiment behind it & have never thought of it solely as a day for lovers. I use it as a day to shower my friends, children, grandchildren & husband with tokens of my affection, a day to remind them that they are precious to me.

I know that it can be a stressful day, from trying to find the perfect gifts for someone, to being single and feeling completely alone in the world. I get that, I do. Find other ways to express your love for people, get out of the "day of lovers" box and plan ways to show other people in your life how much they mean to you, and take extra time for yourself, too. You are important, too.

If you're single, spend the day pampering yourself, then go out for dinner, drinks or dancing with your other single friends. Don't waste time and energy being resentful of the happy couples out there, be happy in your own life and situation; it's where you're meant to be right now or you wouldn't be there.

If you're in a relationship, take the stress out of the day by setting some ground rules about how you'll celebrate the day & a price limit, too. This is a day to show your love, not go into debt and it shouldn't be about buying an extravagant gift. Plan a date night together, maybe not on the actual day, as most places are very crowded & you feel rushed to get in & out. Fix a favorite meal at home together, watch a favorite movie or play a game that helps you bond and get to know each other better. Take the focus off of the material aspect, and put it back where it belongs; on the emotional.

Buy or make your children a small, but special treat, so that you can begin to teach them about the real reason we celebrate the day, so that when they are older they don't feel so much pressure and conflict about it. Valentine's Day doesn't have to be a horrible day, it's all about your attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment